Age discrimination is another current topic of discussion. The data seems to indicate that age discrimination continues to exist even though it may be a costly practice due to the declining birth rates. For this discussion, answer the following:
- Based on the readings, how did changing social conditions (such as increased life expectancy) and economic conditions (such as industrialization) change attitudes toward aging?
- Briefly summarize the 2 competing views of age discrimination.
- For the final portion of this discussion, you will be assigned to a group. Based on your readings and your interpretation of the concepts for this unit, should we legally support mandatory retirement cutoffs?
- Group A: Present the argument for legitimacy of requiring the aging worker to leave the marketplace.
- Group B: Present the opposing side, that we should not create or legally support mandatory retirement policies