The Four Functions of Management
Students will read the case study that focuses on the four functions of management:Â planning, organizing, leading and controlling (P-O-L-C).Â You have been hired as a consultant to help Carl Thomas and his family to solve the problems with his business. You will create a management plan that covers the four functions of management.Â In creating the management plan, you must also demonstrate how the four functions of management are interrelated showing how issues in one function impact other functions.
In speaking with Carl, Joe and John, you already know the following about the business owners:
- failed to develop or share a mission statement;
- failed to determine the best way to organize resources, including personnel;
- underestimates the importance of recruitment, job design and descriptions, and training;
- assumed that motivation will occur naturally;
- fails to define standards and other measurable outcomes;
- ignored negative information;
- delayed actions to improve organizational outcomes.
Resource that will help you develop the mini-management plan:
How to Make a Management Plan
Management Plan Example
Required Elements of the Management Plan
Â Students will create a management plan that helps Carl, Joe and John run the business, both day-to-day and over the long term (strategically).Â Be succinct in your writing but persuasive so that the recommendations will have positive outcomes for the business.
Students are not using buzz-word and are not defining terms using a dictionary.Â Students are expected to present the material in a professional manner describing and explaining to the owners.Â As a consultant, you should be secure in your presentation so there are no Carl, Joe and JohnÂ should do this or do that or they needs to do this or do that but present in an action-oriented manner.Â Â Students are expected to make connections between the facts of the case study and concepts, theories, and ideas presented in the course material.
- In creating the management plan, students will first assess the business and identify specific areas of strengths and weaknesses of the business as it relates to the components of the P-O-L-C.Â In completing this section, do not create a heading for each element of the P-O-L-C but write from the perspective of the consultant discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the business;
- SelectÂ a management model (class hierarchy, democratic hierarchy, collaborative management or collective management) and explain why the selected model is most appropriate for Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park;
- Develop roles and responsibility of the owners and employees (Be creative in completing this task);
- Discuss why these positions are necessary to the business;
- Make specific recommendations for improving the management of Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park.Â Cover all aspects of the P-O-L-C.Â This area of the paper specifically addresses the areas of strengths and weaknesses identified above and puts in place a plan for the short and long â€“term success of the business;
- Create a balanced scorecard that will help Outdoor Adventure Paintball Park align its business activities to the vision and strategy of the organization, improves communication and monitors performance against goals;
- Students are expected to show what they have learned in the course by applying theories and concepts.Â Be sure to support your reasoning.
Â Required Formatting of Management Plan:
- The management plan should be single-spaced, 12-point font, and between 6-8 pages in length excluding the title page and reference page.
- Title page with your name, the course name, the date, and the instructorâ€™s name.
- An introductory paragraph, a summary paragraph and the use of headings are required;
- Use the course material to support your reasoning.Â Outside resources may be used but the main resources must come from the classroom;
- Use APA formatting for in-text citations and reference page.Â You are expected to paraphrase and not use quotes other than in identifying the mission statement and vision statement.
- In citing sources, the page number/paragraph of the cited source must be provided;
- Write in the third person;
- Submit paper in the Assignment Folder.
Please insure the paper covers everything that is asked. The rubric will be used to determine grade.