Investigate ONE dam disaster that occurred due to the geologic setting in which it was constructed. Write in less one page a discussion describing the disaster and the lessons learned from it. Be sure to address each of the following:
- In a few sentences describe the basic details of the dam (e.g. height, width at base, width at crest, material with which it was constructed) and the purpose of construction.
- In a few sentences, describe how the dam failed.What was the failure mechanism? Were people killed? Was there property damage?
- In a paragraph, describe the geologic setting:
- What type of rock was the dam constructed on (igneous, metamorphic or sedimentary?)
- Were there any features in the geologic formations that controlled construction or led to the failure (e.g. faults, joints, weathering, landslides)
- What were the lessons learned from the failure?
- Cite all of the web pages or other sources you used in your research.
A few examples of dams that failed due to geologic setting are listed below, with suggested starting points for research. If you would like to investigate a different dam, that’s fine, as long as the disaster was due to the geologic setting (not faulty design or construction).
- Baldwin Hills Dam, Los Angeles, California
- Teton Dam, Madison County, Idaho
- St Francis Dam
- Vajont Dam