Assignment 1: LASA 2—Human Resource Management
Writing Assignment and Presentation
Case Study—Culture Clashes at SAP
Read the Case: Culture Clashes Make Change Difficult at SAP in chapter 15 of your text book. Use the Argosy University online library and the internet for additional research. Imagine you are an HR consultant called in to advise the leadership at SAP. Prepare a 10-15 slide PowerPoint presentation to present your responses to the information below. Use the notes section in PowerPoint to clarify your points. Include a title slide and a reference slide in addition to the main slides. Use at least one chart or graph and at least one other visual aid within your presentation. Utilize at least three outside resources to compose your response. Your presentation should be professional and correctly address your target audience.
- Provide an executive summary of the main points of the case. Identify and describe the various cultures and differences in those cultures within SAP’s changing environment and employee workforce.
- In your opinion, what aspects of the changes at SAP would be most difficult for the German employees? Why? Which would be most difficult for the SAP employees in other countries? Why?
- What HRM activities or functions were affected by the changes described in this case?
- Recommend at least 3 ideas or concepts the company can implement to help them overcome cultural barriers that are affecting its efforts to become more creative and agile.
- Propose at least three concrete HR solutions that would improve relations at SAP, resulting in less conflict. Support your proposal with outside research.
Use at least three resources in addition to your textbook to justify your responses. Apply current APA standards for writing style to your work.
Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M5_A1.ppt. For example, if your name is John Smith, your presentation will be named SmithJ_M5_A1. ppt.
MUST USE THE TEXTBOOK! Found at this link: https://socheat4u.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/fundamentals-of-human-resource-management.pdf
|Assignment 1 Grading Criteria||
|Executive summary clearly and concisely summarizes the case.||
|Cultures within SAP are described in detail and differences are identified (CO1, 3)||
|Aspects of changes at SAP most difficult for German employees and employees in other companies are identified and justified (CO1, 3)||
|HRM activities or functions affected by the changes at SAP are identified and described in detail (CO1, 3)||
|Recommendations for overcoming cultural barriers are described and justified (CO1, 3)||
|HR solutions for improving relations at SAP are proposed and justified (CO1, 3)||
Style: Tone, audience, and word choice (8 points)
Organization: Introduction, transitions, and conclusion (16 points)
Usage and mechanics: Grammar, spelling, sentence structure, 10-15 slides (16 points)
APA elements: In text citations and the inclusion of at least three references, paraphrasing, and appropriate use of quotations and other elements of style (24 points)
Assignment 2: Discussion – Global Management
This assignment is designed to integrate the reflection of personal experience and the information covered in the textbook. Assuming you are Ludmilla responding to a recent email from Juanita, answer the following questions:
- Besides cultural differences, what other factors might affect human resource management with this international office?
- What abilities will help Juanita succeed and potentially fail in this assignment as an expatriate?
- What has been the reason for the high failure rate of expatirate managers in Uzbekistan? What can Ludmilla do to increase the success of expats?
- Since Uzbekistan has been significantly influenced by Russia for over 70 years, from Hofstede’s perspective, what impact has culture had on appraisal systems, self- managing teams, and systems for gathering suggestions from workers?
300 word minimum.